New Headteacher Programme
- Headteachers in their first 2 years of headship
- Heads new to headship in September 2016
Governing bodies & heads can select from any of the packages below.
Package A – ‘Pay as you go’
Cost: £150 + VAT per person, per session
Participants can select from a range of workshop sessions. These will run between May 2016 and June 2017 and will be delivered by Local Leaders of Education (LLEs) and other experienced leaders.
- Taking on Headship: Principles & Vision – how to prepare for taking on Headship, including planning for the first series of significant events such as INSET, staff and senior leadership meetings, communication with parents, developing professional relationships & engaging your team.
- Safeguarding – the practice and practicalities behind the policies.
- Finance & Premises – how to manage budgets, apply sound financial management, negotiating roles and responsibilities, and setting priorities.
- Performance Management, Recruitment & Retention – leading highly effective appraisal, planning ahead for recruitment & retention, managing a staffing structure and exploring different models of staffing and leadership.
- Monitoring & Evaluation, Data & Performance and Preparing for Ofsted – triangulation of external sources of data with work in books and everyday classroom provision, making use of documents such as the Inspection Dashboard, and being confident in the accuracy of your self-evaluation.
- Coaching and the Emotionally Intelligent Leader – building a highly effective team, and developing your leadership style to maximise performance in yourself and others.
- Peer Review and Collaboration – how to engage with other leaders with integrity and openness, making the most of collaboration and peer review for your school, and maximising opportunities for development and improvement.
- Working Effectively with Governors (for Heads and Chairs or Governors to attend together) – accountability, reporting, what it means to be a ‘critical friend’, roles & responsibilities, and strategies for developing an effective working relationship.
- Managing Change and Managing Self – an exploration of how to lead organisational and strategic change, with an additional focus on wellbeing and mindfulness, considering how to guard against stress and isolationism whilst retaining a love for the job.
Package B – ‘Network Package’
Cost: £1300 + VAT per person
A series of 12 afternoon workshops across the year giving the opportunity for heads to meet with colleagues in a similar position, and form valuable networks and relationships which will provide support through the early stages of headship.
Topics covered will include those in the list above, with the additional opportunity to determine themes based on the needs and context of the group. There will also be an audit of need prior to the onset of the programme, an initial induction meeting and a final celebration event at the end of the package. The full series will run from May 2016 to June 2017*.
*It will be possible to join this package once the programme has begun, however the aim is to participate in some meetings prior to taking up post (or in the very early stages of a new role).
Package C – ‘Individual Enhancement’
Cost: £225 + VAT for each half day of support
Carefully matched 1:1 mentoring support from a Local Leader of Education (LLE), who is also a serving headteacher in a Lincolnshire school. The amount and level of support can be determined by each individual headteacher & governing body.
Flyer: Click Here